Day 355

Fresh Start_355: 1st Preseason Game of 2017 recap
Preseason football means absolutely nothing… I know that and so do you, but there is something about the return of football that gets me excited. Even with the Jets looking like they are going to be one of the worst teams in the franchises’ history a part of me cannot wait to watch the Jets on Sunday’s. The other part of me wants to play fantasy football and just get lost in rabbit holes of who to play on each Sunday.

I love the Jets don’t get me wrong, but I need something to feel my time on Sunday’s with how bad I personally think the Jets will be. Watching majority of the first preseason game of 2017—I liked what I saw but it was against cupcake teams that are fighting for a roster spot themselves. Christian Hackenberg was put in a spot to succeed with low risk immediate throws and still went 18/25 for 125 yards. The receivers didn’t help Hackenberg that much with so drops but all in all it wasn’t the worst thing I’ve seen and about an ounce of me was impressed with this performance. Josh McCown played the opening series and looked like the veteran quarterback that could be the stop gap option for the Jets this season if he can stay healthy. Everything was working for McCown from a deep ball to Robby Anderson to the touchdown pass to Charone Peake McCown looked like dare I say it 2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Watching the telecast there were notions like “defense will be better” and “all the defense needs to do is hold games for the offense and they’ll be better than people think.” These little pokes at the 2017 Jets and how they can surprise people was just annoying me and was the main reason that I turned the game off. This was the first preseason game and while some players showed a bit of promise you cannot listen to the sound bits that this team will be anything more than a lottery team.

Every Jet fan has seen this story and know how it will end up. The Jets will continue to be one of the laughing stocks of the league, and every move by the Jets will be put under the New York sports media microscope.

However, with how bad this team will be; the one thing that should remain the same is the head coach of the team. Ever since his introduction as the head coach of the Jets I’ve like Bowles. I’ve said before that Bowles will be the coach that will bring the Jets a Super Bowl and I hope that he gets the opportunity. Bowles’ contract is up in 2019 and I hope he gets an extension. While watching all the games/press conferences since Bowles became the head coach and I love the way he coaches. I will forever be a Todd Bowles apologist and I don’t care. The first season wasn’t a fluke, the second the team quit on him, and in his third season the upper management sold his team away.

With Bowles having a lack luster team should continue to develop his culture and I cannot wait until the culture that he has built pays off. So, while I’m up at 3 AM on an early Sunday morning looking at different stats to see who I am starting in fantasy on that day, I will have some happiness knowing that Todd Bowles is continuing to rebuild the culture that Rex Ryan tore down.
Sources:(nfl.com, profootballfocus.com)

Don’t forget to like, comment, subscribe, and share on your way out! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Offseason is Brian Cashman's Biggest Test Yet

The Question going into the Trade Deadline for the New York Yankees

The Answer for the Mets