Day 358

Fresh Start_358: Fake News
I don’t usually get political on this blog because I stand by the motto of “keep politics out of sports.” I talk politics but not through my writing. Maybe that will change at some point in my life, but for the foreseeable future I’ll stick to sports… for the most part.

I don’t speak my mind about politics because my knowledge about the topics discussed in politics isn’t as well-known. I did speak my mind the day after the election daring the newly elected president to come at me for speaking my mind in journalism. This time it is just out of sheer confusion.

During a press conference in Trump Towers yesterday, President Trump said something about the white supremacy riots in Charlottesville Virginia. “There are fine people on both sides” said the President—WHAT! How can you say that about white supremacists, white nationalists, and KKK members? Nobody says that there are “fine people” in those groups no matter what political party you are associated with. The only people that like those groups of people is fellow members of the KKK or white supremacist groups.

Throughout the chaos of the protests, riots, and mayhem that happened in Charlottesville this past week I saw a rare thing in the Trump presidency. I saw both sides of the isle coming together to condemn racism. I saw republicans say that the events that happened don’t reflect their political views or the party which they are affiliated with.

But, getting back on the comments from the President. I don’t know what to think anymore as a country. My personal thoughts aside, the United States might not make it much longer with Trump at the helm. We have white supremacy groups endorsing the president with some saying that President Trump himself is the reason why they protested in Charlottesville. Not only that but we have Kim Jong Un threating to bomb us and our allies, and we have a country that is as divided as it can be on multiple sensitive topics, with most of the general public just waiting for the breaking point.

I love this country and everything I believe it stands for, but having a man who in his own words thinks there are decent people in white supremacist groups cannot fly. I dream and plead for a country that can have healthy political discussions in congress, the media, and out in public without a nuclear bomb of crazy blowing up. And, the first chess move that needs to be made in this game of minefield chess is limiting the damage that President Donald Trump can do.

Sources:(cnn.com, foxnews.com, msnbc.com)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Offseason is Brian Cashman's Biggest Test Yet

The Question going into the Trade Deadline for the New York Yankees

The Answer for the Mets