Day 175

Fresh Start_175: Some problems with the NFL
Today’s Fresh Start is something a little special. This is inspired by Bill Simmons and something that he does with his articles on his site “The Ringer.” Simmons transcripts interviews with his guest on his podcast for articles on his site.

I will be doing that today with my brand new podcast that I hinted at on Twitter last week. The “Grind Hours Podcast” isn’t currently up just quite yet (I’m working out the last few things) but it will be debuting soon. The podcast will be running on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s and it will be a sports, politics, music, and pop culture podcast. I am extremely excited to be getting this podcast off the ground, and without further ado here is a snippet of the interview on the Pilot Episode of the Grind Hours Podcast with my very special guest Nick Paradies:
Joe Leo: With the TV ratings being down as a whole for the 2016-17 season, weather that being because of the election or just the overall play on the field, what you do as the commissioner to fix the TV ratings?
Nick Paradies:  Um, I don’t think the Tv ratings are down, I think a small problem was the election, because in the second half of the year they got better. Fox had good ratings all year because of the NFC because NFC just had better teams in general. But, um the ratings were down, a lot to do with the poor matchups. I can’t think of one good Thursday Night game all year, and the Monday Night games were also lack luster. So what I would do if I was the commissioner is I would get rid of Thursday Night football completely—excluding Thanksgiving because you have to have the NFL on Thanksgiving. I would put the best two matchups for the week on Sunday and Monday nights.
Joe Leo: Yeah, I was going to ask you about Thursday Night football, because picking games on my blog was absolutely atrocious, I only got about two right all year.
Nick Paradies: Yeah, it was a total $#%! Show, I’m still having Vietnam flashbacks of the Titans and Jaguars. And get rid of the stupid color rush stuff.
JL: Not all of them are bad, but the Smurfs vs the Mustards has to go.
NP: The only good one that I can think of is the Giants and the Eagles and it was a disappointment for me because I am a Giants fan, but that was the only game that I can think of right away that was a decently played game. Thursday Night game
JL: The Jets and the Bills week 2 wasn’t a bad game, I mean the Jets did blow them out in the 4th quarter but it wasn’t too terrible. What you do for the speed of the game? Would you get rid of a commercial break every here and there?
NP: I would, but they {NFL} won’t because they want to get the most money as possible. But, something I would like to see is incorporate the commercials into the broadcast. The crawl on the bottom of the screen showing you the scores from other games, why not have a crawl where it’s the people who are bringing you the action so we don’t have to take a commercial break every 5 minutes. And I think this could work for baseball and basketball as well. Particular for basketball. Hockey and soccer it works well.
JL: Yeah for soccer for the MLS and the World Cup it’s just commercials in between the halves. I don’t think that would work for football because of the stops and starts of the game with field goals and extra points, but it can be better. And I know CBS did this one game when I was watching the Jets, they just went up to the guys in the booth. They talked about the last drive, and the pace of the game, what happen, all of that. I think they should do that.


That’s just a snippet of the interview that I had with Nick Paradies and you can check it out soon on Soundcloud.

Don’t forget to like, comment, subscribe, and share on your way out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Offseason is Brian Cashman's Biggest Test Yet

The Question going into the Trade Deadline for the New York Yankees

The Answer for the Mets