Day 63

Fresh Start_63: Let them run
There is something about a college game that is unlike any other in sports. I have been adamant about my new found love for college football, and on my Youtube channel I have a video series about college basketball. I have been lucky enough to go to a couple college games in my life. The highlight has to be seeing Coach K get his one thousandth win in Madison Square Garden against St. John’s. I am not a Duke fan by any means, in fact I strongly dislike Coach K, but you have to give props where it is due, and to a man of his stature in college basketball is well deserved. I compare my dislike of Coach K to Bill Belichick; “I hate them, but I respect what they do/ have done.”

Part of the college game is the students of the schools and how passionate they are about their teams. The home fans in particular with fan bases like “The Twelfth Man” and the “Cameron Crazies.” These students make an environment for the opposition that is unlike anything in professional sports. A big part of that is also letting the students rush the field or court after a big upset.

This crossed my mind on Saturday after a big upset in Happy Valley where Penn State upset Ohio State. Ohio State was ranked number two in the country and gave up a big fourth quarter comeback to their Big Ten rival. The students rushed the field after the final whistle, but it didn’t seem like any students were on the field at first. Some people around the college game oppose the option of students rushing the field for the safety of the players and media members on the field. I think the students should rush, because the players seem to welcome their fellow students onto the field to celebrate a big win with them. Some injuries may happen, but how is that any different from a student having an injury in everyday just going to class? The rushing of the students is part of what makes college sports fun and entertaining. When students come onto the field and mob the field, it means the underdog won, which is always a good story.

If the students didn’t rush the field, it would seem robotic and the atmostphere would seem like a pro game, where the players don’t really have much interaction with the fans. The players go to class with the students in the stands, so they have the connection missing in the pro game, let that be expressed. You can’t pay the players so let them have some fun when they pull off the upset.
Sources:(espn.com)

Don’t forget to like, comment, subscribe, and share on your way out!    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Offseason is Brian Cashman's Biggest Test Yet

The Question going into the Trade Deadline for the New York Yankees

The Answer for the Mets