Day 155

Fresh Start_155: They did it again…
At this point, I don’t know what to do with ESPN. I honestly don’t like seeing news that has a negative undertone to it when it comes to the company. As foolish as it may be at this point, I still have hope for the company. Even with everything that I have disagreed with over the past 24 months or so, I still hold in there for a company that a grew up adoring. ESPN announced yesterday that they will be canceling “The Sports Reporters” in May of 2017. The shows slot will be substituted with a bigger instalment of “E:60”. I like “E:60” but it is no Sports Reporters. With the passing of the host John Saunders in the latter months of the year last year, the show has never really been in the same.

On top of that ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” will have an increased role in the “E:60” program, which to me is going to an interesting spot for long time employee Bob Lee to take. To be clear, I wasn’t a huge viewer of the Sports Reporters but I liked the journalists that would appear on the show. If I was flipping through the channels on a Sunday morning before a Jet or Yankee game—and I saw Mitch Albom or Mike Lupica I tuned in for a while and listened to what they had to say. A show like this, that started in the late ‘80’s and included dozens of great reporters has to go down as one of the best sports shows ever made. Shows like Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption (both of which I love) owe some sort of gratitude to The Sports Reporters. Even shows like Loud Mouths and The Heat owe a bit to the long running program, just because of what it did for the sports media. Allowing journalists to have an unedited opinion on the show and not having to write it down and wait for it to go to print, they could voice their opinion to the ESPN viewership before the morning Sportscenter.

Even though I don’t like the move to cancel the show, I would still leave some remanence of the show behind. Even if it is some short videos on ESPN’s website, at least it would leave some of the shows legacy behind.
Sources:(nypost.com, espn.com)

Don’t forget to like, comment, subscribe, and share on your way out! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Offseason is Brian Cashman's Biggest Test Yet

The Question going into the Trade Deadline for the New York Yankees

The Answer for the Mets