Day 35

Fresh Start_35: R.I.P Jòse Fèrnandez
Tragic news, horrible news, and I just am lost for words. Waking up yesterday to this news just put a damper on my day and my thoughts and prayers go out to the Fernandez family and the Miami Marlins Organization and fan base. Fernandez was only twenty-four years old and was one of the up and coming superstars in the game and was looking like a guy who could accomplish great things. Not only was he a great player on the field but he seemed like an amazing person off of it. He was a great ambassador for the league, especially in his home country of Cuba.
I think the thing I will remember most about Fèrnandez is the way he played the game with a smile on his face. How appreciative he was of just being a part of a Major League Club. He played the game like a ten year kid every time he stepped inside the white lines. Now, unfortunately I couldn’t watch many of Fèrnandez’s starts but I still respected his game and how good he was. The Yankees never faced and I would have been worried if he did. Fèrnandez was entering his prime at twenty-four years old and he would have had ample opportunities to win a ring or the cy young award. He would have been one of the highest sought after free agents when his time was up. And he would have been paid like the best pitcher. It is just heart wrenching to see such a young and talented kid pass away at such a young age. He is one of those pitchers if I saw him on a live look in or on a game on ESPN or MLB Network I would stop what I was doing to watch him pitch. Fèrnandez was such a master of his craft already and he was only twenty-four. In his unfortunately short MLB career Fèrnandez finished with a 2.58 ERA in 471.1 innings with a 38-17 record and a rookie of the year award. Fèrnandez also lost a season due to Tommy John.
It is sole crushing looking on Twitter seeing the overall out pour of emotion from the league and his teammates. One of the amazing role models, great pitchers, and great people in this world was taken from us. The good ones die young and Rest in Paradise young Jose Fèrnandez and play on the field of dreams with all the greats.
A fantastic tribute that mlb.com did that I just had to share: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/203293594/v1188949683/
Sources:(mlb.com, baseballreference.com)

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Offseason is Brian Cashman's Biggest Test Yet

The Question going into the Trade Deadline for the New York Yankees

The Answer for the Mets